Time Machine Help

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dandy27, May 9, 2009.

1. dandy27 macrumors newbie

Hi all. First time on the forums, looking great well done.

I decided to give time machine a crack, have done the first backup of everything on my mac and all is well. However, I have a few questions.

If I now delete large files from my macbook, will time machine also delete from my external HD when it next backs up?

The main reason for me using an external hard drive, is because of the limited HD space on my new Macbook. I do alot of editing on imovie and download some largish videos from itunes, which i eventually just want stored on my external HD. Just wondered how time machine handles this and weather the next backups will eventually delete the files i have deleted on my macbook

sorry to waffle on.
    Cheers

Simon

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

If you delete a large file which has previously been backed up by Time Machine it still exists on the external hard drive as it is a back up and still can be recovered. It is designed incase you accidently delete a file and need to retrieve.

If you edit large files then perhaps it would be sensible to have a folder which is excluded from Time Machine. I do this with downloads as I have some large files in there.

3. dandy27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Stridemat, that has confirmed what i was looking for.

p.s i notice you have 4GB set up in your macbook. is it worth the upgrade? did you see any massive difference in speed. im thinking more on the lines of a quicker imovie!!!

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I do a lot of work in Autocad for University, mainly 2D. I run Parallels with 2GB of ram for windows and 2GB for OSX. It was so cheap and easy to do I would defiantly upgrade from the standard configuration. Check out the crucial website!!!

http://www.crucial.com/uk/?click=true

and click scan my system.It will tell you what ram config your mac can take and how much it will cost.

Not sure what benefits iMovie would see as it I would believe more processor intensive but it wont do any harm.

5. dandy27 thread starter macrumors newbie