Time machine help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rdsii64, Sep 16, 2009.

1. rdsii64 macrumors regular

I am not sure where to post this. Since I have only been using a mac for about a month I figured the switcher hangout would be as good a place as any. I use a external hard drive for my tme machine backups and its getting pretty full. I got dialog box( sorry for the windows lingo) that said that the space available wasn't big enough the next back up. I thought Time machine did this on its own. Can I tell it to or do I have to delete old back ups manually. How do I tell time machine to delete the really old back ups so there will always be room on the drive.

thanks

2. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Some numbers would be helpful. :)

1. The size of your Mac's HD, and the amount of data on it
    2. The size of your external, and amount of non-time machine data on it

3. rdsii64 thread starter macrumors regular

drive data

The external drives sole purpose is time machine back ups. its 500 gigs.
    My imac has a 640 gig drive. currently there is 147 gigs of free space on my time machine back up drive. the dialog box stated that time machine needed 250 gigs for the next back up and that only 147 were availble.

4. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

It's a good idea to have a back-up drive at least the size of your prime drive. True, you aren't filling up our iMac to the brim, but you want as much history as you can get.

1. I wonder why you have 250 Gigs to back up next. It's not your first back-up, so why the big change? Did you just upgrade to Snow Leopard? If not:
    2. You can specify folders to ignore. I exclude P2P shared folders, the Applications folder, and Fusion's windows image. Any folder that sees a lot of high-volume usage will fill up a time Machine drive fast. Movie rips, and iMovie/iDVD cache folders too.
    3. You can tell Time Machine to go ahead and delete old files without warning you, by deselecting Notify after old backups are deleted.

Is the dialog box (Mac lingo too :)) offering you the option to delete old files, or just failing outright?

5. rdsii64 thread starter macrumors regular

time machine

it just failed outright

6. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Okay, then try this. Open up Time Machine Preferences, and select Options.
    Midway down that dialog, it will say "Estimating size of Backup...". Leave that window open until it fills in like the attached image:

Attached Files:

7. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

What I suggest is you do a thorough inventory of what and where your data is. If you have such voluminous repositories as listed above, either add them to the exclusion list, or get a larger back-up drive.

When you've worked that out, and you think what is left can still fit on the 500 Gig drive, then you can retry the back-up. You may have enough room to breath.

If not, you might need to erase the external and try again, with the slimmer backup set. It sounds like there is a larger fault with the process--as you've said, Time Machine SHOULD be able to make the room it needs, but 250 GB is one massive incremental back-up.

Again... did you just upgrade to Snow Leopard?