Time machine help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wankey, Feb 28, 2010.

1. wankey macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2005
    So I have an external harddrive that has a time machine clone of my internal 500gig drive.

However, I just got a huge error on my internal drive, and had to reformat. After using migration assistant, everything is working.

I want to use the time machine backup on the external, how do I do it? When I go to time machine, it finds the free space on the external (69 gigs) and uses that part as a new time machine backup.

I find it very risky to format my old time machine backup right now because that'll only leave me a version of my files in my laptop (with the potentially faulty harddrive)

What should I do? An option for me right now is to find another external, back up a timemachine on there. Then leave that as an archive backup, and then wipe my current external and use it as a regular backup.
  2. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Technically, a Time Machine backup is not a clone (because it isn't bootable), but that is beside the point :)

From what I understand, you will have to start a new Time Machine backup now
    But I am not 100% certain of that... that is just my understanding
    Someone else may know of a way to tag on to the old backup, but I am not aware of how to do that
  3. glennsan macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    San Diego
    Time Machine Backup

Can you use Carbon Copy Cloner to move that over from your internal to the external?

4. wankey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Aug 24, 2005
    Well right now there are 2 copies of my system. I can carbon copy my system onto another external, then wipe this external and use it as a new time machine.