Time Machine Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by A Macbook Pro, Jun 6, 2010.

1. A Macbook Pro macrumors 6502

I've had my time machine WD elite 500GB for about a month, and yesterday for the first time, I got this message: The backup was not performed because an error occurred. This happened while doing a backup which was 10 days overdue. I got this over and over shortly after restarting the backup and then proceeded to restore the external. I then started a backup from scratch, and I get the same error. I click OK and I start the complete backup again, except it theoretically continues. So if I was 50GB into my backup out of 250, it would start the backup again and say out of 200GB. So I got the error about 3 times while trying to do this complete restore. And once it was ''finished'' (250GB out of 250GB, it started going weird, and continuing. So it was like 250.1GB out 250.1GB and then 250.5GB out of 250.5GB and so on.) And ofcourse during that I continued getting the error message. So now I'm zeroing out the external in hopes that'll fix the issue. Anyone know how I can fix this?

2. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I think zeroing it out will fix it. I had a similar issue with my backup not working after a while. I zeroed my Time Capsule out and so far so good on a working time machine backup.

Are you doing a wired backup or wireless? If wireless then for sure do a wired backup the first time.

By the way- it is against forum rules to bump.

Advice- post on a Sunday through Thursday night- those are your best chances to get a response IMO.

4. A Macbook Pro thread starter macrumors 6502

I know bumping is against the rules but TBH on a forum like this it shouldn't be. I'll post a thread with one of my issues and nobody replies at that time, it shouldn't mean I have no right to continue to raise the issue. I could just post a new thread with copy/pasted text from this post but really I don't care about getting banned.