Time Machine How Do I Connect And Share Web Connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fantismo, Sep 12, 2009.

1. fantismo macrumors newbie

Hi

I want to connect my MAC PRO to my time machine by ethernet and then my time machine to my ADSL Modem Router by wireless..

e.g

INTERNET >> ADSL MODEM >> TIME MACHINE >> MAC PRO

at the moment I have...

INTERNET >> ADSL MODEM >> MAC PRO >> TIME MACHINE

which I dont want.. can anyone help?

And please could you give me a step by step walkthrough.. really detailed.. thanks.

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

You probably mean TimeCapsule (you can use that hard drive for Time Machine if you want). See http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/TimeCapsule_SetupGuide.pdf for the document and picture on how to set it up. The Mac Pro can be connected through the ethernet port or wireless. There is also a Time Machine section in the manual.

3. fantismo thread starter macrumors newbie

i wish...

... you would read my post fully.

your reply is totally useless to me, just posting the manual?

it doesnt anwer my question at all?

is it possible.. what im suggesting?

4. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

First, cut the attitude and you might find people more willing to offer some help. Bobzune's response was perfectly acceptable. If you read the manual you might have actually found your answer. Instead you come across as a whining brat looking for someone to do the work for you (And please could you give me a step by step walkthrough.. really detailed..).

That be said, not sure why you're trying to set it up in this particular configuration. Are you trying to use the TIME CAPSULE as a wireless network extender for your existing wireless network being provided by your other router? If not, what you seek to do makes no sense. Please explain why you need to set it up in this manner?

Best setup would be router connected via Ethernet to TC which is then connected via Ethernet to your Mac. If your Mac isn't close to your router, keep the TC connected to the router and your Mac can connect wirelessly to the TC.

5. BobZune macrumors 6502a

See page 15 on the PDF file - and replace, for example, the laptop (top left) with your Mac Pro if you want to set it up wirelessly (assuming it has wireless). If you want it wired, substitute where it says "2.4 or 5 GHz" to the laptop in the picture with the ethernet cable, and set it up that way. The picture on page 8 shows where the ethernet plug goes into the time capsule - and the other end should go into the Mac Pro ethernet port. As shown in the picture (p15) and text on page 10, "Connect the Ethernet cable that’s connected to your DSL or cable modem (if you will connect to the Internet) to the Ethernet WAN port".

If all that doesn't help, you need someone else to help you.

[Thanks, tbayrgs.]