Time Machine: how does it work?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by franz1999, May 11, 2008.

1. franz1999 macrumors member

So I am looking at the Backups.backupdb folder.
    Inside there are already a few backup folders (named by date/time) and one folder called Latest which is just an alias for the most recent of the other folders.
    What puzzles me a little is that if "Get Info" of any of those folders they ALL return 108GB. But also the parent folder Backups.backupdb folder returns 108GB :confused:
    It feels like anyone of these folders is "virtual" in a way but at the same time I can dig in the folder for yesterday's backup and drag a file out on the desktop and, sure enough, I have the actual file saved on my desktop... :confused:
    How does it work? Is there really a DB file somewhere and when I browse a folder I am in reality just seeing something that doesn't exist on the TimeMachine hard drive?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. franz1999 thread starter macrumors member

Interesting... coming from a Windows background I had never heard of hard links before... so here comes for those interested a quick explanation of this concept:

While the "Recent" folder would be a "soft link", correct?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Not sure: I don't actually use Time Machine!

You might find the answer (or at least something of interest) in this article, especially the "Time Machine internals" section starting about 1/3 of the way down.