Time machine icon not spinning.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Miqs, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Miqs macrumors member

Miqs

The Time Machine icon used to spin in the menu bar on my old iMac (Lion) when I was backing up. This was helpful to see when the backup was completed. It's not now. Has this been discontinued? I am now running El Capitan 10.11.6.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that went away I believe starting with Yosemite.

3. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

So, how are you supposed to tell if it's running or finished? I'm still running Lion (yeah, I know, I need a new iMac in the worst way) and like that spinning cursor. I guess it'll tell you if you click on it? I guess I'll have to check with my wife and see how hers runs, (shes running the latest OS).

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is a little arrow that appears when it is running. But the arrow does not move.

Here is running.

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 11.42.58 AM.png

Here is not running.

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 11.44.00 AM.png

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I have to admit, I was hugely disappointed when this change was made.

6. KALLT macrumors 601

I found that knowing when the computer is backing up is not information that I really need anyway. You can just turn off your computer whenever you want, the backup will just resume automatically as the system keeps track of everything. When something goes wrong, Time Machine will tell you. The status bar is supposed to be free of unnecessary distractions.

7. Miqs thread starter macrumors member

Miqs

I don't find that a distraction. The opposite applies as it informs of activity or required attention. I value all icons in the menu bar. For example I have one (X-Rite) to remind me when I should recalibrate my screen which is important to me. Yes the backup will resume later if I shut down but I liked the old spinning icon nevertheless.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, it provided the user with easy to see notification that their system is being updated, now you have to try to discern if you see a tiny insignificant arrow appear on that icon, or go into the systems preferences and select Time Machine to see if it running

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use a "workflow" in Alfred to show TM status. This screenshot is while TM is running, but if it is not running it will show the date/time of the last backup. The same workflow can trigger a manual TM backup also.

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 6.07.20 AM.png