Time machine ignoring aperture library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gustavca, Nov 7, 2009.

1. gustavca macrumors newbie

I´ve got a problem with my time machine. I recently upgraded to snow leopard and suddenly my mac pro has stopped backing up my aperture library through time machine. Do anyone know if their's a way to force time machine to backup a specific folder (in this case a library)?

This is quit annoying problem in the meantime I've solved the problem through backing up my aperture library through vaults, but since this procedure is done manually and is painfully slow i really hope to get my time machine running as before...

2. Lordedmond macrumors regular

try looking in time machine preferences and look at options thats where you exclude files from backup

BTW using time machine to BU aperture lib is inefficient as it has to back up the entire lib. aster a update .

Using the aperture Vault is much better

3. jontucker macrumors 6502

You've actually stumbled on the correct way to do it. TM doesn't work too well with the Aperture library file because even if you just change a single image within Aperture, TM see that the library file has changed and backs the whole thing up again (not just the single file).

So actually, the best way to do it is to exclude your library file from your TM backup and use Aperture Vaults. There is, however, a problem. Aperture wont allow you to use network drives for the vault file but there is a workaround.

What you have to do is create the library file on a local drive. Close Aperture. Move the file to your network drive (presumably you would want to use your TM). Open Aperture. Reconnect to the vault file in it's new location.

4. gustavca thread starter macrumors newbie

Well from what I've understood the problems with time machine backing up aperture library are more of an old myth, the problems are supposed to have been fixed together with the 1.5 and 2.0 versions of aperture. And from my own experiences time machine works really good together with aperture library, in fact I've been using time machine for backing up the aperture library for over a year together with my synology cubestation. And no it doesn't back up the whole library, just the changed files (my library is >200 gb so i would probably have noticed). Actually time machine saved me a couple of weeks ago when i where installing snow leopard, to make a long story short i missed moving the library to my external drive before wiping my internal drive but as an saving angel my library was fully updated in the time machine backup, so i just had to move the hole library back to my pictures folder.

So therefor it´s really irritating not to get time machine backing it up again. And yes I've already checked in time machine preferences and the aperture library should not be excluded from the backup.