Time Machine Ignoring Exclusions -- Backs Up Entire Drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Icculus, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Icculus macrumors 6502

Mac Pro - 4,1
    Lion (Clean Install, Setup 2 HD's as Striped Raid -- After Install Restored from my Macbook Air (new air, came with lion installed) time machine image)

Now everything on my Mac Pro is perfect, except for Time Machine. It will ALWAYS back up my entire drive even though I have exclusions for VM's, iPhoto. The backup estimate is 67GB, which I am cool with...but then it gets to 67GB and continues to backup until it backs up the entire drive (167GB). I have tried the following:

Turn off TM
    Kill plist file
    Reboot
    Turn TM On
    Add in Exclusions

Same problem. This is driving me nuts and I just cannot figure this out, if anyone can help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

As a last resort, you could try reformatting the Time Mach partition and running a clean TM 1st backup. I find TM very unreliable and occasionally have to start it over from scratch.

3. Icculus, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

Icculus thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I tried that...I first had an airport extreme and an external HD that I was using for backup. When I started to see this error, I plugged in the time capsule (hard wired - hard wired on AE as well) and formatted the drive clean and then did a backup. Same issue. So frustrating.

** Strange thing is I have an iMac, Macbook and Macbook Air backing up to that same time capsule and those backup fine.