Time Machine in Yosemite

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by VictoryHighway, Jun 11, 2014.

1. VictoryHighway macrumors member

VictoryHighway

Does anyone know if Yosemite still require AFP for network-based Time Machine backups?

2. rspeed macrumors newbie

It's unlikely this will ever change. Time Machine requires the file server to support certain unusual features which other protocols aren't likely to ever support.

3. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Without testing Time Machine in Yosemite, I assume that the requirements are as they were in August 2009:

Time Machine Network Interface Specification (TMNIS): Time Machine Server Requirements

In particular:

For as long as Time Machine is tied to HFS Plus, I should not expect the TMNIS to include any protocol other than AFP.

4. shanson27 macrumors 6502a

shanson27

The time Machine in Yosemite (Macbook pro 13 2011) seems much snappier. It starts up much quicker than in Mavericks :D

Attached Files:

5. VictoryHighway thread starter macrumors member

VictoryHighway

Too bad that the space wallpaper is gone. I really liked that!

6. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

Yeah, Time Machine looks pretty awful now, along with a couple different aspects of Yosemite. The only thing I actually love about Yosemite is the new menubar, and even that has its quirks. I hope they refine some of the design soon.

7. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

My time machine is just black background. I don't know why. rMBP mid-2012

8. DiscardedPacket macrumors member

I liked the space wallpaper, but I understand why they removed it.

Massive lag / FPS hit when you enter time machine. Probably most evident on retina display MacBooks.

Its smoother / snappier now because theres less going on.

9. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

10. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Is your desktop a black background? The background, like Widgets, and everything else is a translucent of the desktop image.

11. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

... No. I'm actually NOT incompetent. :)

12. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Did you try changing your wallpaper, then setting it again? Repairing permissions may also help.

13. hlfway2anywhere, Aug 18, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014

hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Just tried both of those things and created a test user. Black background on that one too. I guess I can try deleting my time machine plist and see if that makes any difference?

14. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Good idea, but in a way, I kind of doubt it, because it's solely UI-based, and the TM plist holds settings related to backing up (exclusions). Doesn't hurt to try, though.

My suspicion is a corrupted UI 'link' somewhere, or a glitch with translucency. Speaking of which, is translucency off? I haven't tested whether or not TM's UI looks similarly with or without translucency, but it's worth another shot to disable/enable translucency, just to see if that works. Kinda akin to fiddling a switch :)

15. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

Still nothing. Weird. Comes with betas I guess. Maybe it'll resolve itself when the final version comes out and I can do a full reinstall of the latest version.

16. D.Dave, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

D.Dave macrumors newbie

D.Dave

TM is just black screen

When I enter TM, attempting to look at things to restore, I get a black screen. Any ideas how to fix this?

A little more exploring: I have dual displays on my Mac Pro. If I mirror them, TM restore works fine. If not mirrored, all I get is the afor mentioned black screen.