Time machine - inconsistent backups - help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Michael73, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

As I understand it, TM is supposed to automatically back up hourly, then compend days into weeks. In the last month, my TM back ups have become irregular, not only not occurring hourly but sometimes skipping a day or two. Is it an coincidence that my current 3TB TM drive only has 77GB free?

I know TM is supposed to delete the oldest backups to make room for the newest ones, but for business purposes, I just replace the drive. In fact, I've already got a replacement drive but haven't put it in yet figuring there was still 77GB of space left on my current drive.

Is it time to replace the current TM drive and will this solve the inconsistent back up issue?

2. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

3. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

OS 10.11.1

4. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

Time Machine has been problematic in El Capitan for many, I am not saying it's certainly the reason for your problem but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 10.11.1 bug...

You could try TimeMachineEditor or other such software to change the interval between backups to see if it fixes the problem.

As for replacing current drive its hard to say if it will help but if the problem is due to a bug in 10.11 I doubt replacing the drive will help.