Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zazaban

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
When installing time machine, does it name, or even show little previews of, files as they are being backed up? Or can you select areas that you'd like not to back up? Because I have some files on my computer I'd rather not have broadcasted to whomever happens to be looking at the screen when I'm installing. Um, yes. You can laugh at me now.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
It doesn't show previews of files as it backs them up or restores them.

Yes, you can chose folders not to be included in backups. ;)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Does it even show the names of files?
When it's doing the actual backup, the only indicator is a spinning icon on the menu bar.

The way that most people restore files, you simply use Finder, browse to the folder where the file exists, and then click the Time Machine icon. The Time Machine interface then pops up, allowing you to pick a date to restore from, and then the filename. During that process, it looks/acts just like a regular Finder window. You can see filenames, use QuickView, etc.

The other way you can view your Time Machine backup is to mount the disk image and use Finder to browse through it. That looks exactly the same as browsing through your current HD.

Zazaban

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2006
Really? The reason I wanted to get it is because I'm a writer, and sometimes my word processor crashes before I save and some of my work is lost. i figured it could go back and retrieve the work, but can it only get saved stuff?

misterredman

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2007
Really? The reason I wanted to get it is because I'm a writer, and sometimes my word processor crashes before I save and some of my work is lost. i figured it could go back and retrieve the work, but can it only get saved stuff?

It only backup files on the hard drive. There is a remote possibility if the software you are using save to a temporary file automatically, to retrieve the data. The best solution is to find the reason of the crash and solve that, combined with saving as often as possible on the hard drive. It shouldn't happen at all.

What word processor are you using? What's your setup?

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007

Unfortunately only saved stuff, yes.

But saving the document more often don't necessarily have to interrupt your writing if that is what's keeping you from saving often -

Most applications have keyboard shortcuts to save the current document. I've got to the point where my fingers hit :apple:+S (or CTRL+S or whatever the application's using) more or less automatically on a regular basis. In the few cases where a crash occurs, the work lost is negligible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.