Time Machine internal hard drive disappeared!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Redneck1089, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I woke my Mac Pro up from sleep mode and I got an error message saying something along the lines of a disk not being ejected properly. I dismissed the message at the time but soon realized that my fourth hard drive in the computer has disappeared!

I used this hard drive as my Time Machine backup, and also used it for BootCamp with Windows Vista. Now the partition is gone too.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? I checked Disk Utility and it's not there. I also pulled the hard drive out and put it back in - nothing has worked.

2. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Unfortunately it sounds like your drive has died... if you can pop it in an external enclosure and try via USB or FW then you will have a better chance of finding out.....

3. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

I have no way of doing that unfortunately. Damn, this is frustrating.

4. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

When I removed the hard drive from the computer the computer was still on and I was able to hear the hard drive stop spinning. I did not hear any clicking sounds or anything odd. Don't most hard drives make some sort of odd sound when they are failing? I have heard nothing...

I also seem to recall seeing the error message once or twice before. However, I never did notice if any of the hard drive icons were missing. This seems very strange to me.:confused:

5. Redneck1089 thread starter macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

Is there any other tests that I can do before I throw in the towel?