Time Machine & iPhoto 08

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BenHoleton, Dec 13, 2009.

1. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Ok, got another question. I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard, and decided to do a clean install due to I had a bunch of files I no longer needed from a business i used to be involved with. So I exported all my files to a hard drive (separate from my normal time machine hd), plus i had my last time machine back up. Got my clean install, everything is good. Except the hd i had my files on failed (ok, i dropped it and it doesn't work....). So I have everything off my time machine backups, no problem (i.e. I drug music/apps/etc from the tm backup onto my new hd). Except my iPhoto. Can I import my iPhoto library from a tm backup if I didn't set up from a backup? TM shows my iPhoto library. But no luck being able to import them. Any thoughts? Are the actual photos found elsewhere? I am using iPhoto 08. And I have new photos that I have added. Does that make a difference? Do I need to to remove those photos from my library to import the old library and then re-add them? Any help would be appreicated

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

You can use iPhoto Library Manager to switch between libraries. Though I don't think that this is what you ideally want.

3. BenHoleton thread starter macrumors regular

i'll look into that. apple's tech support was no help. the guy suggested i erase my mbp's hard drive then start from a time machine back-up. No good. No good at all

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

After you did your clean install and then drug your iPhoto backup to your new machine, when you opened iPhoto, didn't it have everything in it? i.e. your events, pictures, etc?

By default, iPhoto will make a copy (into your "iPhoto Library" file) of every picture you drag into it. If you turned off that preference, then your "iPhoto Library" would only have links to wherever you actually stored the pictures on your old drive.

5. BenHoleton thread starter macrumors regular

It won't let me drag the old iPhoto Library over from the backup. I also didn't know you could turn off the Library feature, which I will be sure to do from here on out