Time Machine & iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davidoloan, Jun 12, 2015.

1. davidoloan macrumors 6502

How can I sure that Time machine has a complete perfect backup of my iPhoto library.

If I "Quit iPhoto" and then backup on Time machine manually, will that be enough and will all the original resolution photos and videos be backed up?

I plan to then use migration assistant.

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

TM backs up everything that is on your HD (unless you have something excluded). In Photos Apple puts all pictures, videos and data into one big data file. This will be backed up and then restored exactly the same.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you want to do a test to make sure it caught everything you could drag your current iPhoto library off to the Desktop, then restore your iPhoto library from Time Machine back into the Pictures folder. Then open that file in iPhoto to make sure all the photos are there.

Buy by default, it will backup everything like Julien mentioned.

4. davidoloan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks to both of you.

The only reason I was worried about this is that in Apples guidance page it says that Time Machine fails to make a complete backup of iPhoto if iPhoto is running.

There are quite a few people complaining their restored time machine iPhoto library is incomplete.