Time machine is going SO SLOW!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gentlefury, Aug 15, 2012.

1. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have a firewire hard drive connected to my Mac Mini that is wired over the network on a gigabit ethernet. My Macbook Pro is taking FOREVER to backup time machine. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

oh yeah, im using thunderbolt ethernet adapter, and I just transfered an 800MB file to that drive to see if its the network and it took about 30 secs to complete.

----------

it suddenly started moving.

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

you just have to give it a little.

The estimation time will change dramatically.

4. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

It eventually started moving. Then I closed the lid and it stopped....which is really annoying, since Powernap is supposed to continue Time Machine in the background. Guess it doesn't work.

Also when I woke up my machine I had to re-mount the remote disk to get it to start up..and now its not moving again. It's taken me about 3 days to get halfway thru this backup. I know once it finally finishes the increments will be fast...but this is ridiculous!

My remote computer is set to never sleep, and my rMBP is set to mount that drive at startup.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Kind of off topic but did anyone notice in Mountain Lion you can now do Time Machine backups to multiple drives? My main backup was to a Time Capsule which is ridiculously slow since I use wifi, but I saw you can connect a drive directly to the Mac and set it up as a 2nd backup disk. So now it alternates between the two.

6. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

yeah, when I picked a different drive it asked if I want to replace it or add it. Cool new feature for triple redundancy.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Redundancy is pointless if all the drives are located in the same place and your house burns down. I'm too lazy to deal with scheduled full disk backups but with the new multiple drive feature I can now swap a Time Machine drive into a safety deposit box every six months while also being able to maintain a local active TM. So it's a great secret feature to Time Machine for software that really has been neglected by Apple.

8. gentlefury thread starter macrumors 68030

There is nothing on my main HD that is so critical that I would go that far.

9. dimme macrumors 65816

Did you ever solve your problem. I have been trying to do the same with a older MacBook Pro and a mini. Both running mountain lion, from what I read I need to go to server on the mini.
    Ant thoughts?

10. chmodme macrumors member

the first one takes time

in order for Time Machine backups to work as you presume, everything must be indexed using Spotlight. If the little Spotlight has a "dot" in the middle while it is backing up, it is busy. You can verify this using Activity Monitor.

The first complete backup is thus, slow, for anyone. That is, compared to the incrementals which happen afterwards.

And Gig Ethernet is slow for this, compared to locally attached storage.

It'll finish.

chmodme

11. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Did you update to latest version of Lion or ML? It was a software bug which Apple fixed in the last update a couple of weeks ago.

12. dimme macrumors 65816

Yes latest ML.

----------

What I am finding after about 8 hours it just stops and will tell me the. Disk is formatted wrong or it can complete the backup.

13. chmodme macrumors member

ugh

You are backing up TO a Mac Mini, right? Hmmm...someone else needs to chime in because using this configuration is not what I do, or know, and I would only be guessing.

Good luck!