time machine is so slow

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by eddieblock, May 13, 2008.

1. eddieblock macrumors member

hello. every time i try to use time machine it completely takes over the computer and i have to switch off and back on to do anything, and i can never ever get it to work. is it just me or is this a common problem ? any help would be nice. thanx

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

what are your machine specs?

I only notice a slow-down on my < 1GHz PPC's

Is this the first backup or the incremental ones.

3. eddieblock thread starter macrumors member

it,s a 24" imac 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo, 2gb memory 667mhz ddr2 sdram almost new. it has done the main back up and it now does incremental back ups

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

The first one does take a while, and my first one to the TC took a really long time (1 1/2 days for 130GB), incremental ones are faster. (I have a G4 iMac).

What is your equipment and external? I would find a time that you don't need your computer (say overnight) and just let it run. Eventually the backup happens.

5. eddieblock thread starter macrumors member

ok i,ll try that tonight but after that should it boot up straight away ?

6. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

That seems a little weird my first backup took long but the subsequent backups are are quick and i dont even notice them unless i see the little time machine clock spinning in the toolbar.

But even during my first backup i was able to continue running other applications with no problems and no slowdown.

backups after the initial one only take into account anything thats changed so it should be quick and not that hard on your system's resources.

7. eddieblock thread starter macrumors member

the back ups are perfect it,s just when i actually want to use time machine to get a file back that it happens

8. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Via wireless, I really wouldn't expect more than the equivalent of one iTunes Store (lower quality) file every 5 seconds when retrieving stuff. Just because it says 'server class drives' '802.11n' or 'gigabit' doesn't mean it delivers performance anywhere near those theoretical limits. Time Machine is very slow if you're used to computer-to-computer interaction, just like many low-end NAS's (that the TC basically is). Try waiting a little more.