Time Machine Issue With Network Drive - Please help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SisterRay, May 26, 2008.

1. SisterRay macrumors regular

I have just bought an Iomega Network Drive (500Gb).

I can connect through SMB fine and can add files to the drive without problems.

I can get time machine to see the drive and allow me to select it as the drive to back up to using the followin command

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1

However when it tries to back up it fails immediately with the error

Time Machine Error
    The backup disk image could not be mounted.

I have read that I should create my own sparse bundle file, and copy it to my network drive. I have managed to create the file on my MacBook, but it always fails when I try to copy it. I used the command

hdiutil create -size <size in Gb>g -fs HFS+J -volname "Backup of <ComputerName>" <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle

<Address of en0> can be found by issuing the following command in a terminal
    ifconfig en0 | grep ether

The <Address of en0> is the hex number with the :'s (colons) removed

When I try to copy it with the following command

rsync -avE /Users/<Username>/<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle /Volumes/<ShareName>/.

I get the following errors

Any Ideas I am on Leopard 10.5.2, I am the only user of the wireless network. Is it an access problem, or a filenaming probelm.

Please help

building file list ... done
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/
    ._<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/Info.bckup
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/Info.plist
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/0
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/19
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/1a
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/1b
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/1c
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/1d
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/1e
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/1f
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/20
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/45ef
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/45ff
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/e9
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/ea
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/eb
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/ec
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/ed
    <ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/token
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/.Info.bckup.7eXz6U" failed: Resource busy (16)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/.Info.plist.SG0G7b" failed: Resource busy (16)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.0.V0RPk0" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.19.VZ1AfB" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.1a.Wnm3Z0" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.1b.xeCTlV" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.1c.qU2oyh" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.1d.k14rRG" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.1e.J5lWz9" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.1f.DyOwXr" failed: No such file or directory (2)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.20.J6R5tS" failed: Resource busy (16)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.45ef.f83Iuu" failed: Resource busy (16)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.45ff.k7DUKd" failed: Resource busy (16)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.e9.M0Ifth" failed: Resource busy (16)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.ea.aLR5x4" failed: Resource busy (16)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.eb.QiBY26" failed: Resource busy (16)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.ec.SysyjE" failed: Resource busy (16)
    rsync: mkstemp "/Volumes/PUBLIC/./<ComputerName>_<Address of en0>.sparsebundle/bands/.ed.C2Xd7m" failed: Resource busy (16)
    sent 121172763 bytes received 420 bytes 22031487.82 bytes/sec
    total size is 121156582 speedup is 1.00
    rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-30/rsync/main.c(717)

I get the following errors

2. SisterRay thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know if I created a HFS+ partition on this drive, would I stil be able to access the FAT partition over the network?

3. pcallaro macrumors newbie

Can't comment on the code you're writing, but I had the same problem backing up a new Alum iMac with TM over an AEBS AirDisk (1TB Seagrate in an OWC Mercury Elite Quad port - awesome drive!). TM kept failing. I had read in one of the posts that permissions might have something to do with it, so, after many failed attempts to fix permissions on the iMac and external drive, I decided to restore the AEBS. Worked like a charm. TM backs up no problem. Might be worth a try if you're using an AEBS.

I have a questions back to you - if you create a sparse bundle image locally and then move it to the networked drive (which is MUCH faster than running over the network, right?), will TM or CarbonCopyCloner write to that file over the network on subsequent backups?