Time Machine Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DaREdBaRoN, Apr 26, 2011.

1. DaREdBaRoN macrumors member

Does anyone else have the issue with time machine where it has to redo your backup? This is the second time I've had to recreate my back up on my time capsule after receiving this error message.

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT4076/HT4076_01----en.png

Anyone know anything that can help? These backups can take more than a day to complete and I'm worried about the reliability of the time capsule.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I've been through this twice now. I now realize TM is a stopgap backup solution and must be augmented by another long term backup such as an off site backup or manually copying certain files to another disk. In fact, I had a scare today where my Mac was acting a little funny and I said to myself "what the heck" and i copied my entire documents folder off to my firewire drive. But to get back to TM, for me Apple support had me use disk utility to "check" the sparsebundle file created by TM. It is on a network drive (an Apple Time Capsule). It turns out the file was corrupted and I had to delete it and start over. If you count the time I had to send my failed TC back, I've been through this 3 times now. If you are thinking you can "enter time machine" and go back to the day you got your Mac you are sadly mistaken. You can only go back to the last time your TM target disk got corrupted. What causes this? Apple says it's my Mac going to sleep during a backup. Wait an effing second here... Are they trying to tell me that the company that designed the OS and wrote TM can't be bothered to postpone sleeping during a backup? Anyway, I know this is not true. I have disabled sleep and I've had a corrupted backup since doing so. I do back up over wifi. If they are trying to tell me I can't use wifi they can go to the he double hockeysticks place. I refuse to plug in when I have an 802.11n AEBS.