Time machine issues since 10.9.3

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by twowheels, Jun 5, 2014.

1. twowheels macrumors newbie

I have been backing up two macbook pros to an external drive on an iMac for several years. All three computers are on the same network. The MacBooks have stopped finding the external drive on the networked iMac since the last Mavericks update. Has this functionality been eliminated? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Is the a Networked drive or a directed connected external or two different Users on the same Mac?

3. twowheels thread starter macrumors newbie

The drives available to use for the time machine backups are connected to the iMac - one is a thunderbolt and the other is USB. Both drives are set to share and are visible in finder on the MacBooks. The iMac has no problem using them for time machine.

4. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Sorry, I am a bit confused. You said those HDDs are visible in your Macbook finder, and you said your Macbook stop finding those network driver.

If you can see those drivers, did you re-select the backup driver in your Macbook's time machine?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The issue is that functionality was never supported to begin with. To backup to another Mac like you are doing requires OS X Server ($19.99) from the App Store on the target machine. If you were able to work around and get it running all this time, you were living on the edge. :)

6. twowheels, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

twowheels thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. I'll give that a try. It worked as advertised.