Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Walkaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Right just received my WD My Book studio, ive connected it to my mac 27" iMac, via firewire 800, so i install the software but dont use the back up i just switch off the sleep timer so it doesn't sleep. and then used time machine to back up everything was going very smooth, copied my 805,737 files in about 20mins except the last 6GB computer become unresponsive so i restarted. now running again and its gone to back up the last 6GB but in 30Mins has only done 2kb?

Walkaa

masteroflondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
London, UK
I believe this is normal. If a backup is interrupted it has to look over everything all over again and understand where it's at. This takes a long time. Once done, it goes ahead and completes the backup at normal speed. You just have to be patient and let it get on with it.

Walkaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I believe this is normal. If a backup is interrupted it has to look over everything all over again and understand where it's at. This takes a long time. Once done, it goes ahead and completes the backup at normal speed. You just have to be patient and let it get on with it.

Ok thanks very much for the reply i just thought it was odd the way it was so fast then unresponsive especially on a i7 imac

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure you didn't need to turn off sleep as the computer will only go to sleep at your given time interval IF and only IF the system is idle. I would think doing a TM backup with constant and consistent disk access would preclude the system from sleeping...display should be able to sleep though.

Walkaa

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I'm pretty sure you didn't need to turn off sleep as the computer will only go to sleep at your given time interval IF and only IF the system is idle. I would think doing a TM backup with constant and consistent disk access would preclude the system from sleeping...display should be able to sleep though.

i didnt chnage the computer setting just the external HD,
UPDATE: still 2kb from the first post

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.