Time Machine Issues

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by captsanner295, Mar 27, 2014.

1. captsanner295 macrumors member

Updated to Mavericks and have not been able to get my TM to back up. I had my previous backups on my external hard drive. TM said it was full so I deleted and formatted the disc. Figured get a fresh start. It then proceeded to complete the first backup of like 1.58TB, at 16 hours it was almost done and said it failed, not sure why or what happened. Tried again said it was full, formatted again no luck, switched to another 2TB external drive, no luck. Its painfully slow and then if I just leave it running it tries after failing the first one to do smaller backups of like 89gb and they fail as well. Ive tried over a dozen times all the same results. Am I missing something? Never had an issue until Mavericks?

Thanks
    TJ

2. ATC macrumors 6502a

I've had issues with TM whenever I get a new ext HD for TM. Just this past week I got an ioSafe Solo G3 which gave me trouble. Took almost 36 hours to complete a full-HD encryption (3TB) and then my first backup failed.

I ended up doing a full Time Machine reset as per these instructions (link) and that worked.

3. captsanner295 thread starter macrumors member

So here is an update after following the instructions you listed. i again started with a freshly wiped drive of 2TB. My MacHD is 2TB with only 1.58TB used and 416 GB free.

Started it after deleting the PLIST as instructed. Its started said 0.00 out of 1.76TB completed and started rolling let it go over night and into today. But now the out of number is up to 1.95TB and completed is 1.78TB why is this increasing. I believe this is what it did the last times just never saw it. Im assuming its going to max out my drives and thats whats going to fail the backup?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    TJ

4. ATC macrumors 6502a

Hmm... I'm not sure why it keeps increasing past the 1.7xTB. I'm guessing you have a large media library in there somewhere; just to test the backup functionality, can you add exclusions to the TM backup (in TM prefs) to make the backup size sub-1TB and try backing it up?

If that works, try removing the exclusions one by one till the backup fails, that will narrow it down to a specific library that's causing the issue, which you then troubleshoot form there.

5. captsanner295 thread starter macrumors member

my iMovie library is over 1TB so Ill exclude that now and give it a shot.

TJ

6. captsanner295 thread starter macrumors member

So I got a successful back up very quickly once excluding movies from my username. So now where do I go from here??

7. ATC macrumors 6502a

My suspicion is that TM for whatever reason hasn't been able to properly calculate the size of your iMovie library so it starts the backup process then fails once the drive either fills up or once it's projected to fill up before completing.

My advice, you're gonna need a drive larger than 2TB or alternatively back up your iMovie library manually to another drive and keep it off your main TM backup.