Time Machine Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ITSquire, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ITSquire macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro (Mid 2010) hard drive failed. I have a complete backup one week before on my Time Machine. I replaced the HD, re-installed the OS and am now trying to restore my backup from the Time Machine. When I click on the Time Machine it only takes me to Desktop and will not let me select the Time Machine drive and my back to restore from. What am I doing wrong?

-Stan

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You did not even need to install the OS. Just attached the Time Machine disk and option key boot to it. From there use Disk Util to erase the new drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then quit Disk Util and click restore. That will put the OS and all your apps and data back on the new drive.

3. ITSquire thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so now that you know where I am at, how do I get to my Time Machine Backup to do the restore?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just follow what I said there step by step. Attach the TM disk to the Mac and hold the option key when booting. That will bring up a boot manager where you can choose to boot from the TM disk. Then follow the steps in my first post.