Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
India
Any idea why I am getting this for the second time after updating g to El Capitan? Screen Shot 2015-10-04 at 1.30.09 PM.png

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Any idea why I am getting this for the second time after updating g to El Capitan? View attachment 589480

It could be that your external may be having issues, bad sectors, or worse still failing. It might be an idea to see if you can identify if any of the aforementioned is the cause. Especially seeing as it is your primary backup drive. Have you tried another drive to see if the messages persist. That may identify it to be the OS / TM and not the drive. Helping you pinpoint a further root-cause.

Reactions: deepakvrao

Sean869

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Dorset, United Kingdom
I have a WD Mybook Live NAS drive that I used for timemachine. I always found it unreliable and I had the same message twice over the course of a few months. I switched to a normal USB drive and never had a problem. I still have the WD drive and it seems to work fine for normal stuff but timemachine was always a problem. I had it connected via my broadband router not directly to the computer.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Personally, as per my setup, the only way to reliably trust TM is to get a TC... And even then they can be a little flaky. Carbon Copy Cloner is probably best if you are going to use non Apple externals... And having two of them is your best bet, in case one dies or has issues you then have another one to fall back on. However, YMMV depending on your needs and requirements.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I have a WD Mybook Live NAS drive that I used for timemachine. I always found it unreliable and I had the same message twice over the course of a few months. I switched to a normal USB drive and never had a problem. I still have the WD drive and it seems to work fine for normal stuff but timemachine was always a problem. I had it connected via my broadband router not directly to the computer.
I use a Synology NAS for my backup and it has worked perfectly for the last two years. I upgraded one of my machines recently and used Migration assistant to restore from the TM backup and it worked flawlessly and completed the restore in 2.5 hours.

I also use CRASHPLAN and backup to a friends computer which seems like a really useful feature for off site backup.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
I have a Synology NAS DS213j and I tried to get it to work with TM but had endless issues. Hence, I also got a 2TB TC. Which has worked without issue since install. However, Yosemite did bugger it up when it was first released. However, since Yose matured the TC has been fine.

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
India
Thanks guys. It's a pretty new NAS and never had any issues till I changed the OS> I'll try a USB drive, but I'm pretty sure it's not a drive issue.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I use a 2 TB TC and a £40 Samsung 1 TB for keeping 'off site' kept in a £6.00 'case logic' type case.

I attach the samsung to the TC via USB and it seems to automatically give it preference for its weekly back up. (shame TC isn't USB 3 but never mind)

I upgraded to El Cap Wednesday and both TC & samsung are same as Yosemite- no problems.

Last edited:

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Reactions: nebo1ss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.