Time Machine & iTunes library. Same HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Da Citizen, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Da Citizen macrumors newbie

Da Citizen

When i set up Time Machine on my new MBP, I had to wipe the ext HDD i wanted to use, i couldnt partition it.

Does this mean this HDD can ONLY be used for my Time Machine? I wanted to use it as the repository for my iTunes library also, as there is plenty of room.

Thanks,

2. simsaladimbamba

TM uses one folder on the entire HDD to backup content, thus you can use the HDD for other things, like storing music, too.

Time Machine FAQ

3. Da Citizen thread starter macrumors newbie

Da Citizen

Could i have had to format it as it was used on a PC before then?
    IE a mac fortmatted HDD would have just made a folder and kept all the existing information on there?

4. simsaladimbamba

If I understand you correctly, the no, as TM needs to use HFS+ as file system (format).

I do not understand.

5. Da Citizen thread starter macrumors newbie

Da Citizen

Sorry if im not being clear, lets break it down.

- I got a new mac and wanted to set up TM
    - I had a 1TB ext HDD that had music, pictures, etc on it, which i manually backed up my Windows laptop onto
    - I plugged this into the MBP to tell TM to use this, but i had to format it. i wanted to keep all the stuff on there, and use the spare space as the TM but i had to format the whole thing
    - this lead me to believe you had to assign the whole HDD to TM
    - If this is not the case, then i can only assume it made me format it as it was used by a Windows machine in the past

Is this correct?

6. simsaladimbamba

As Windows uses a file system not compatible with TM, Mac OS X needed to format it using HFS+ as format, thus all data will be deleted on the HDD.
    But you can partition the HDD in Disk Utility, so you can have one partition for TM and another for data, maybe even usable in Windows, if you use exFAT as format.