Time Machine & iTunes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ufkdo, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ufkdo, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

ufkdo macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I noticed while backing up my HD using time machine that it does not completely backup itunes. I really love how itunes handles play counts etc. and I know that kind of infos are stored in "iTunes Music Library.xml" file but that file does not exist in time machine backup.

Is this a normal situation or is there a problem? I first thought time machine could not back up that file because itunes is open and playing music (so the file is in use) and I quitted itunes and start a new backup but nope, the file still does not exist in latest backup.

A second question: I will be upgrading to Lion in a few days. I'd like to perform a clean install. After the installation, I will be using migration assistant to migrate from my backup. My question is, will migrating include my iphone backups? (I think it will but I need to be sure)

Any answer will be very much appreciated.

BTW I'm using 10.6.8 and all updates are done.

2. ufkdo thread starter macrumors 6502

I copied that file manually to another user's itunes folder in the same computer but that did not work. So manually backing up does not work. I think if I do a clean install, I will lose those infos, right?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Perhaps there's another problem going on because I manually copy my library without any problems and I've also used TM to backup/restore my library on occasion.

If you do a clean install of OSX you will indeed lose everything on your hard drive. Keep that in mind.

4. ufkdo, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

ufkdo thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I know. I will try manually backing up all my iTunes library, hope that works.

Edit: I found the solution. I backed up my whole library to external HD, logged in to other user in this computer, opened iTunes first, then quitted and deleted itunes folder, and finally copied my iTunes folder from external HD (except the media folder which is huge). And my dear library was there when I launched iTunes :) I will do the same when I upgrade to Lion.

Thank you for the help maflynn.