Time Machine just keeps on calculating changes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by evillageprowler, Jun 2, 2010.

1. evillageprowler macrumors regular

I recently realized that my TM hasn't successfully backed my system since April 21. At the time I noticed this, the TM disk was very low on free space, even hitting 0% free.

I powered off my mac, and even powered off my disk. Waited a small bit. No good. I then manually deleted some old folders, and still no good. (I'm thinking that may not have been a good thing, but at this point I don't see the downside.)

Any advice? I'm thinking of completely scrubbing that disk and starting TM on it as if it were a new disk.

TIA,

EVP

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If its been over a month since your last backup it could take HOURS to compare the last backup with where you are at the moment. Deleting files and folders on the internal hard drive is not going to help matters when Time Machine is trying to evaluate folder by folder what has been altered in the last 1+ month. If the slight risk of being temporarily without a backup is acceptable to you, and unless you think your computer will croak during the backup, I would agree that the simplest solution would be to format the external drive and start from scratch.

3. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Time Machine usually works on its own. Let it run in the background. If after a day or so it hasn't sorted things out, start from scratch.