Time Machine just made Leopard worth every penny

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mduser63, Oct 31, 2007.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

When I first heard about Time Machine, I thought it sounded like a cool feature but something I'd rarely use as I can't really think of a time I've accidentally deleted a file I actually needed.

Just now I went into iPhoto to look for some pictures I took on a recent trip. I had transferred them from my MacBook to make space on the hard drive. I imported them into iPhoto on my iMac then deleted the original folder (3 GB or so). I went to look for them tonight and realized that I never in fact imported them into iPhoto. I got that sinking feeling you get when you realize you've lost something important and irreplaceable. Then I remembered Time Machine. Fired it up, went back in time a few days, and there were my pictures. I just restored them and they're all there :D. Seriously, Time Machine alone makes Leopard worth it.

2. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Glad to hear you were able to get your photos back... I know how it is to lose them (but not get them back - it SUCKS!). TM is a great (albeit simple) backup solution that will work great for 90% of Mac users. I love it.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I had lost 1 photo, and I got it back tonight with time machine too!

I lost a seocnd one, but for some reason it showed up with ? marks in time machine too. Maybe something had hapepned to it even back when I installed leopard.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

related to time machine but i have an external where i keep my videos and music hich are not on my laptop. however i want to use time machine as well. is it possible to make partition for tm and be able to resize it and maybe even delete it if i get a new hd?

i heard you can make partitions on the fly but can you delete them too and restore to single volume?

thanks

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Time Machine doesn't "take over" any disk you use - it just creates a folder on the specified external disk

6. mach macrumors regular

Time Machine sounds awesome, I can't wait to get my Macbook Pro in the mail with Leopard. I ordered it this weekend and it shipped out yesterday, so hopefully I'll get it by the end of the week. I'm really excited! :D

Quick question: Does time machine slow down the computer at all? I would imagine it would, but Apple does say it works completely seamlessly in the background... do you notice any dips in performance when it's backing up?

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

very cool i thought it needed its own partition

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

Time Machine doesn't slow down your system very much at all. At least it didn't in the beta, but I don't have my external right now so I can't speak to the final release state.

9. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

No difference here, i have a 1TB MyBook external setup with TM and its 300GB full. I tested this out as my TM was backing up (you can see when in System Preferences) trying to see if things were slower but could not notice anything.

10. Nightline macrumors regular

Nightline

I have not noticed any type of slow down either. I have a 500GB Mybook hooked up through USB, and I partitioned half of it to use for Time Machine. Since the Mybook is so quiet, I hardly ever notice backups are happening unless I look around the back of the Imac and see the blue lights dancing around.

The only issue, I have, and its related to the Mybook itself when it goes to "sleep", and when I go to find a file, I have to wait a couple of seconds for that drive to fire up, other than that, all is sweet here.

11. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I think we will see quite a lot of threads like this over the years. It really is a great feature. Glad it worked and you got your things back.