Time Machine keeps backing up folders I excluded!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OldCorpse, Mar 11, 2010.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

So, I did: "Enter Time Machine Preferences" ---->"Options"----->"Exclude These Items from Backups"----->"Excluded Folder FOO".

Today I go into TM, and there is folder FOO, backed up! WTF?? Why is TM not respecting my exclusion of FOO from the backups?

2. razorboy1969 macrumors newbie

razorboy1969

i have the exact same problem, and more

Time Machine backs up the folder i exclude (TM > Option > + Exclude) every time i run it. In addition, TM fails to back up newly added files contained in folders that are not excluded (most notably newly added mp3s in the Music folder). Btw, i excluded the Download folder, which takes up about 10Gb of space.

Am i doing it wrong? I use a portable HDD (Seagate FreeAgent Go), and i don't keep it plugged in all the time. The only time i do is when i want to do a back up, usually after adding a lot of new stuff into my MBP. After initiating TM, no back up fail message appears, but the stuff the needs to be backed up ISN'T, while those that needn't be IS. I have scoured Google for a solution but so far has found none. I have brought up this problem before here at MR, but no help too. I have tried restarting and even resetting the TM to no avail. Any help from 'experts' would be appreciated.

MBP 09 250GB 2.53
    Seagate FreeAgent Go 320Gb
    SL 10.6.2 up to date

3. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Just to make sure we are all on the same page: When you first open TMs spacey-view, the first snapshot it will show is "Now" which is the regular live view of the filesystem that Finder shows, it is NOT an actual backup. Those start the first window back.