time machine killed my external firewire drive, what to do?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by treefullofapple, Jun 2, 2008.

1. treefullofapple macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, a little help would be enormously appreciated.

So, my MBP crashed (been doing a lot of that lately... sigh) while time machine was backing up, and on reboot i was given the warning:

"the disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

So i went into DiskUtil, but when i tried to verify OR repair it, was swiftly told:

"filesystem verify or repair failed"

So, it looks like time maching has killed all the data on my HD. The problem is - it was a partitioned drive, with non-essential data on the other partition (not to be backed up by time machine). A day later, however, i've had a specific request from a client who has had their OWN hard drive crash, if i an provide any of the data i worked on with them. I had all of it, until this crash...

Please could anyone help me with instruction to hopefully pull back my data? I have DiskWarrior, but it's not bloomin' loading for me (says there's an error in the preferences, and i should delete a file... that doesn't appear to exist). I also have a copy of diskwarrior 3, but when it won't recognize the drive on the desktop, is there anything i can do?

thanks all!

-alex

2. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

You can try DriveGenius, I personally prefer it over DiskWarrior.

You might also be able to get the data back if you haven't written anything else to the drive with Data Rescue II (by the same folks who make drive genius)

http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php you can find it around.

I have heard of so many problems with TimeMachine, and the couple of times I've used it, I've encountered issues. I just stopped trying. I think Apple needs to check it over again.

Yes, incremental, hourly, backups are a beautiful thing...if it worked right...Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! just work so well, and you know your data is going to be backed up correctly.