Time Machine killed my Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by irishandy, Sep 20, 2011.

1. irishandy macrumors newbie

I just tried to recover my whole system from a TM backup, and now the mac won't boot. It gets about 20 seconds in and then comes up with a window telling me to cold restart.. Only problem is it then keeps doing that - never recovering.

How can I salvage this? How can I boot from an OSX install disc in order to refresh the system?

HELP!!

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

What procedure did you use when you attempted to recover the system?

3. irishandy thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran the install programme from the leopard install disc and selected recover from time machine from the options menu. I selected my most recent back up from my time machine drive and it all seemed to run ok - even got the congrats message at thevend before the reboot.

4. Damo01 macrumors regular

Have you excluded anything from Time Machine?

Time Machine will fail to restore from my experience if you exclude certain things from Time machine.

5. irishandy thread starter macrumors newbie

No, nothing was excluded.

To be honest, my pressing matter right now is how to get the mac to boot up in any way shale or form. Is there a key I can press to make it boot from the optical drive, or some other method. I'm content that all my data is still on the TM backup drive, so I can sort that problem later, but at the moment I've got a mac which won't boot at all!!

6. tomllama macrumors regular

With the DVD in the drive, boot and hold down the option key to get a choice of drives to boot from. I believe holding down the 'C' key forces it to boot from the DVD/CD drive (as another alternative).

Having been-there done-that, your issue is why I make a copy of the system disk to an external drive every 6 months via carbon copy. Just in case.

7. Jukas macrumors newbie

You could always just reinstall OSX from scratch via the DVD and then during the welcome process use the migration assistant to pull from your Time Machine backup.

8. Damo01 macrumors regular

Odd...that it failed. Have you looked into the logs to see any errors during the restore progress? You proberly won't see anything in the logs.

You would have no other way but to reinstall OSX and use the mirgration assistant...

9. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

Agreed.

10. irishandy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Now I just need to borrow a wired keyboard from someone as the wireless one won't work obviously!!

11. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

It does