Time Machine Leopard HD question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brentg33, Oct 25, 2007.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

hey,
    like most, i will be getting leopard shipped tomorrow. I have a MBP with a 160GB HD and an external 250 GB HD. My question is, in order to have time machine work, will i need to partition the HD? and if so, how much GB should i partition for TM?
    thanks
    brent

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you can use the whole drive for time machine then do, this way you'll be able to go back further in time.

Partitioning totally depends on your needs. Whatever though, it will certainly need at least 1 formatted partition (which I imagine it already has).

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

The external does not need to be partitioned but 1. If you don't partition it the entire drive will be devoted to Time Machine, 2. If you do partition it, Time Machine will be unable to backup the other partitions on the same drive it is on.

4. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks, well i already use the external HD for back-ups of video and audio that i have. So what it looks like is that i will have to partition the drive as to not have Time Machine reformat and use the enitre HD. How much does the TM partition need to be at minium? and which tool should i use to do the partitioning? (pref. something that is already comes with or free download)

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Your parition has to be at least as big as your boot drive, so 160GB. That will get you only a 1 day protection though. My advice, drives are cheap. Go buy a new drive just for TM. You can get a 300GB FW drive for under $100. Newegg has a 300GB Maxtor for $90 inc 3 day shipping.