Time Machine - Locked after restore!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IEatApples, Apr 28, 2009.

1. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Well here's the story:

I used Drive Genius 2 (from DVD) to defrag my HDD … and I think it did …but in addition to that it apparently messed everything up so I couldn't boot from it = I had to do a restore from my Time Machine backup … and so I did … but then everything got messed up in terms of permissions, and after a restart - well, it didn't start :( … so, once again, same restore from Time Machine, and this time everything seems fine, except for the fact that my backup drive tells me that I have no access to it - I have no permission to even open it! And thus I can't use it as a backup or anything else, it's a 1TB useless disk! :(

[​IMG]

Question: Is there any way to "regain" access to my HDD? Any way to have it continue as a backup drive without deleting the "old" backups stored on it now?

P.S.: Not sure if this is relevant, but I also have a small 60GB BootCamp partition with Vista :)o) on the 1TB backup drive.

2. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Is it possible to login with more "access" then a usual administrator account?

I really need to fix this issue, I now have no backup disk! :(

+ Now I found out that another one of my HDDs (a 500GB with a small 45GB BootCamp - XP partition) are having the same problem.

Please help! :eek:

3. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Hmm… no help? :confused:

Well, I guess I'll just have to delete everything & reformat the drives then. :(

… I can't even see what I'll be deleting/loosing… ah well, at least my main drive is okay now! :cool:

4. IEatApples thread starter macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

I called Apple and they gave me the solution :):

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9035132&#9035132

but if your hard drives name includes a [space] like this: "My HD", then you must write the command like this:

or like in my example:

It saved both my drives! THANK YOU APPLE!!! :)

5. timdost macrumors newbie

Terminal not working

For my part it is still not working. I entered the code you said, Ieatapples, and then it delivered this message:

Tim-Dosts-MacBook:~ timdost$ sudo chflags 0 /Volumes/My\ Book sudo chown 0:80 /Volumes/My\ Book sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/My\ Book sudo chmod -N /Volumes/My\ Book
    chflags: sudo: No such file or directory
    chflags: chown: No such file or directory
    chflags: 0:80: No such file or directory
    chflags: chmod: No such file or directory
    chflags: 775: No such file or directory
    chflags: chmod: No such file or directory
    chflags: -N: No such file or directory

Do you know any solution for my problem? I messed everything up I think with migrating the accounts (with the same usernames) back and forth.

6. gdeoliveira macrumors newbie