Time Machine & MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jday7757, Nov 24, 2014.

1. jday7757 macrumors member

Preparing to order my first MacBook Pro and have a simple question concerning Time Machine. Since TM will be backing up to an external hard drive it obviously needs to be connected to the hard drive to back up. Since I'll be using the MBP untethered it will not back up hourly. So, to back up with the machine do I then just have to connect it to the external drive and leave the MBP turned on. This would seem to me as the only way which really takes away from the hands off automatic nature of Time Machine. Just a note, I already have a top of the line ac router so I will not be using Time Capsule Extreme.

2. steveh552 macrumors regular

Do you have a way to connect your hard drive to the router? If so it can be an untethered drive and back up automatically. I love my rMBP and I do have the airport time capsule and love it. Im not sure how it does back ups to a drive that is connected.

3. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

My primary backup with time machine is over my network to a Mac mini server. When traveling I use a USB drive that I connect when convenient. If the MBP stays in one place for a few days it gets continuous backups. If I'm moving around, I just plug it in when I can. No problem with this approach.

Yes, it's less convenient but any backup is better than none.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Exactly. You don't need to wait though. Once you attach the drive click the TM menu and select Backup Now and it will start immediately.

If you want a hands off approach you have only three options that are supported by Time Machine/Apple.

- Time Capsule
    - New tower shaped 802.11ac Airport Extreme with a external USB drive attached
    - Backup over the network to another Mac with OS X Server installed like GT doing.

5. jday7757 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. What about my current Linksys 802.11ac router (instead of Airport Extreme) with an external drive attached?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope sorry. Not supported. (Assuming Linksys WRT1900AC)

There are some hacks around you can find where people managed to get it working, but it is not reliable.

Some aftermarket routers do work with Time Machine. You will see "Supports Time Machine" on the ads. This means the router can work with the Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) networking protocol that Time Machine needs. Does not look like the WRT1900AC supports that that I can see.

The problem with these third party devices that do advertise support is the TM backup often breaks when OS X gets updated, and for that reason they are not "officially" supported for TM backup by Apple.

7. jday7757 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it's a WRT1900AC. I really like that router because it easily reaches all areas of my house with strong signals so I don't want to replace it. When I get the MBP I will simply connect it to an external drive when I need to back it up. I won't really need continuous backups.