Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I went to look at some files I downloaded a few days ago and they are missing. Checked Time Machine and everything is gone. I have no records at all in Time Machine. It has lost all data and shows no restore history (only NOW) despite having a file size of 1.3TB and showing Oldest Backup May 30 (when I installed it). I know that earlier today TM had the full accessible history but where is it now? What is going on? Do I have a virus? I'm also having a problem with Safari here.

As I was about to post TM stared and it is just showing Preparing in the System menu and the data had dropped to 650GB which is less than my data. It took 12 minutes to start and it seems to be starting all over.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Have you tried restarting to see if it comes back?

On the iPhone (on hold) with tech support. So far they are stumped.:confused:

The drive is Locked and they can't figure out how to unlock it.

Also the internet pages I can't open are all htpps.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Tech had me reformat the TM HD and now the computer will NOT boot up at all. UNBELEVABLE I have 5 years of data on the line with a blank TM backup HD and a primary RAID 0 HD that won't boot. They are saying that the best (non) option is to reformat the main drive. I have 5 years of valuable data that has been maintained on PC's without ever a problem (typing this my reliable Windows laptop.

Now have an appointment with the genus bar in the morning. It is most important that they save or retrieve my data.

It must be a virus to cause this many problems one after the other. Right now Apple is tasting super sour.:mad:

dcubed20

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
It must be a virus to cause this many problems one after the other. Right now Apple is tasting super sour.:mad:

super doubt that. what evidence do you have that it's a virus? Probably just a bug, unfortunately, or some glitch. but you can't blame a virus

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Hallelujah the reinstall has me going again. Of course at best I won't have a TM backup for several hours. I'm also coping some important files to a USB HD (several hours again). I did install the 5.3 this morning. I wonder if that could have caused so many problems and failures? Tech support was at a loss as to way I could be having one failure after a problem after a failure after a problem, compounded by even more problems (there has to be a common link). I'm still on pins and needles and not sure when I will have my OSX confidence reinstalled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.