Time Machine moved to a Network

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macpeach55, May 12, 2011.

1. macpeach55 macrumors 6502

macpeach55

Hi there,
    I have been backing up my MBP & now also my new iMac to Time Machine on a Hard Drive connected via USB directly to the Computer. In both cases having the Hard Drive on at start-up or when working & looking for a File seemed to slow the Computer as it would check the TM drive as well as the Internal HDD. For this reason I am thinking to start backing up over my wireless network using a HDD connected via USB to my wireless router. So I have several questions.

I read elsewhere that the TM backups are different depending on if it is an attached HDD or one on a Network. Is this correct?

If so, and I keep the original TM backups on the original HDD, is there an easy way to "redirect" either of my computers to use these old backups after I have set them up to Back up over the wireless network? (Because of a network failure, for instance).

The HDD I use now allows me to back up both Computers (At separate times, of course!) on the one Hard Drive with no partitioning, as it TM recognizes which Computer is attached to the HDD. Would this still be the case over the Network?

If both Computers try to back up to the one HDD at the same time, will one pause, or show "back up error" or similar?

Will this solve the problem of the Computer checking the TM Hard drive for files I am searching for?

Sorry, it is a long list, but if anyone can answer just one of the questions, it would be very appreciated!:)
    Cheers,
    Richard

2. macpeach55 thread starter macrumors 6502

macpeach55

3. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

a network attached USB HDD will be slower if searching when compared to a locally attached USB HDD. Anything done to a peripheral (such as a drive) on a networked location will be slower than a locally attached device because you are adding another bottleneck to the equation. Gigabit-connected NAS on the other hand is a different story