Time Machine my laptop to my Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maury, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Maury macrumors 6502

I'm a complete noob with this; can I use the second drive (largely unused) in my Mac Pro as a Time Machine drive for our two mac laptops?

Maury

2. akm3 macrumors 68020

I could be wrong, but I believe you can only do this if the Mac Pro is running OS X server.

3. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

I think they only way you can do this is with Target Disk Mode.

You would have to plug your laptop into your desktop, while its turned off using a firewire cable, then power on your desktop while holding down the "T" key until you see the Firewire symbol floating on the Mac Pro's screen. This will mount your MP drives on the desktop of your laptop.

Transfer, or backup files as needed.

Are you planning to use the same backup for both laptops? If not you will have to partition the MacPro drive into two drives, then put one backup on each partition; in order to get this to work.

4. steveoc macrumors regular

Yes, you can save from a mac laptop. I don't know about using the drive as a back up for both laptops. I don't use Time Machine, but I was curious.

You need the MacBook and the Mac Pro to be on a network. On the MacBook locate the Mac Pro as a shared device on the sidebar. Click on it, log in as the user (of the Mac Pro) and click on the target drive. Launch Time Machine. Select Set Up Time Machine, then click Select Backup disk. The drive from the Mac Pro that you mounted earlier should show up as an option.

5. Maury thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, very useful, thanks!

I just got a Time Capsule, but I already had an Extreme so I didn't really need it. I'll take this back if I can.

Maury