Time Machine-Network drives? what size hard drive?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by markw10, Oct 26, 2007.

1. markw10 macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    I am getting Leopard tommorrow and have a couple questions about Time Machine.

1. Earlier I posted about using it through a Airport Base Station drive. It seems it's now confirmed it won't work with ABS drives. I would like to think in the future it'll be updated to support this. I know my ABS drive can be slow and doesn't do well with large file transfers so maybe that's the reason. I see it works with 'network' drives though. I'm wondering,

a. Would it work with a hard drive that is connected directly to a ethernet network?

b. I use my MacBook Pro a lot and don't want to have to carry around an external drive with it. I'm getting a imac within the next month though. If I plug an external drive in that would it work with that drive?

2. What size hard drive? I have two MBP's I want to use with two drives (on a network or on my iMac) and one is using around 140GB of space, the other around 110GB of space. What size hard drive should I use for backup? I know I want at least the amount of the laptop but I've heard the TM doesn't compress so for storing backups since it is storing back in time I'd assume I want at least double if not more, maybe 500GB or more. Is this true? I know the answer is probably the larger, the larger I go back in time and I know with time if you run out of space it starts erasing.
  2. twoodcc macrumors P6

Feb 3, 2005
    Right side of wrong
    at minimum you need the amount of space that is being backed up. so if you have 140GB of stuff, you need a 140 GB drive. but if you think that will grow, then buy a bigger drive.

basically just buy the biggest drive you can