Time Machine network volume backups broken?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Apocrathia, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Apocrathia macrumors 6502

So I had everything setup and running smooth until I cleared my backup the other day to free up some space, and all of a sudden; time machine no longer sees my network share for backups.
    I've made sure to do the whole "defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1" thing and still nothing. My backup box is an Ubuntu 8.10 server running Netatalk and Avahi, so that it looks like a mac and basically acts like a mac on my network. (I used the guide at ' http://www.kremalicious.com/2008/06/ubuntu-as-mac-file-server-and-time-machine-volume/ ' to set it all up) it worked great up until recently. does anyone know if apple released some update that nerfed this or what? i'm lost right now.

2. jw2002 macrumors 6502

Try mounting your network share outside of Time Machine and then go into Time Machine preferences and reselect your backup volume.

3. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

I already have, it mounted and I can read and write to it, but Time Machine won't even see the drive.

4. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so after a little bit of testing, I can back up to usb attached volumes, and my girlfriends mac can utilize my afp shares for time machine. I think something just broke on mine, I've used the terminal line as mentioned above, I even downloaded iTimeMachine (which does the exact same thing with a nice little button), and still nothing. So my time machine backups to network volumes is completely gimped. Does anyone have any ideas? I really need to get this back up and running.

5. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Unfortunately I have noticed that when I would do the terminal command that TM would not see my NAS. It was able to see it before 10.5.6 but not now. I don't use TM in this way so it's not a big deal to me. Also, keep in mind that it was an unsupported method of using TM. Sorry, don't have much to tell you...

6. Apocrathia thread starter macrumors 6502

well I thought that it was 10.5.6 too but my girlfriends macbook is 10.5.6 as well and the airdisk backup still works for her. It's isolated to my laptop apparently. I think I'm just going to have to reload my macbook, something broke somewhere and I have no clue what it is.