Time Machine: New Comp starts over after migration

Discussion in 'macOS' started by auhlixer, Jan 1, 2009.

1. auhlixer macrumors regular

I got a new MacBook and migrated from my Time Machine Backup but now when Time Machine backs up it starts over as a new computer.

Is there a way to change the MAC address in my older backups to chain them all together?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

I don't think there's any way to use one backup database for two computers. I mean, conceivably you could change both computer names to the same one but that's not recommended. If you are planning on backing up two or more computer systems and don't want to have to keep disconnecting/reconnecting the drive repeatedly, you should look into a Time Capsule or some kind of network backup that both systems can access without having to remain directly connected through USB or FireWire at all times.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Not sure how it works. I have done a restore from Time Machine on my computer and every time it does a complete back up of the system. Even though the computer is named the same. Not really sure why it does that or if there is anything that can be done to avoid it.

4. auhlixer thread starter macrumors regular

The older computer is gone so i only have one now

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I don't think it uses a MAC address, but regardless, you'll need to start Time Machine over as you would for a new computer - can't chain an old backup to a new one. You likely can do so with more sophisticated backup software, but not with Time Machine.