Time machine new imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kcaldwell85, Jan 10, 2011.

1. kcaldwell85 macrumors newbie

I have an iMac at home and i just purchased a new iMac at work. My work iMac is stand alone and will not be connected to the Internet or any network. At home my iMac is loaded with software : CS5, iLife,iWork, ect..

My question is, can I boot my new stand alone iMac at work with my time machine at home and use all the programs like i am at home? What kind of problems will i run into? If any?

2. simsaladimbamba

Time Machine is not bootable.
    And iLife is included even on your work Mac, as it comes with every Mac.

Anyway, you can use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to make a bootable copy (clone) of your home Mac onto an external HDD (FW800 would be good, due to being at least twice as fast as USB 2.0) and use that external HDD to boot from on your work iMac.
    But you need to make sure you have at least the Mac OS X version on the home iMac (clone) as the work iMac has (to have the latest drivers for the work iMac), thus make sure to run Software Update on the home iMac before cloning it to an external HDD.

To boot from an external HDD just hold down the Option/Alt key during startup and select the external HDD.