Time Machine/new install

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by michaelgettys, Jan 5, 2010.

1. michaelgettys macrumors member

I have had my macbook unibody 13 inch for about a year now. It is running a little slow i feel and i want to do a fresh install of snow leopard. I use time machine (but never had had to use it if that makes sense) My question is if i do a fresh install of os x 10.6 and then use my time machine backup will the problems be transfered over to the fresh install. I dont want to lose all my iTunes music(stars/playlists...) any help would be wonderful. i looked around for a while but never found anything that was a big help!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Copying over your iTunes library shouldn't create a problem. I don't imagine that the songs or the library are why the computer is running slow to begin with, but then I don't have much to go on from your post.

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

The OP isn't just going to be pulling over iTunes...it sounds like he will be rebuilding his system settings/documents from Time Machine after he does a clean install.

I too wonder if this would slow the machine...or does the fresh system software install take care of most issues?

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Yes, but he also specifically mentions his iTunes library, which is why I mentioned it.

Not knowing anything else about the slowdown issue, it's hard to say whether TM will carry the problem over to his fresh install.