Time Machine + New LB = trouble

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Flhusky, May 21, 2008.

1. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

OK, I've seen a few threads about people getting new LB`s because of various issues. I too fail victim to this issue.
    When you get your Mac back (any OSx 10.5x based machine) and you plug the Time Machine drive in, guess what... Total new back up! :(
    Yep new LB = new MAC address = Time Machine thinks you got a new machine.
    There is a couple guides written and between them you will either;
    1. Get pi$$ed and format the Time Machine drive.
    2. Call Apple Care and be told to reload the OS and restore from back up(which will not work since the mac change)...
    3. Give up and hope to <Deity of your choice> your mac friend can help you.
    4. Goto the genius bar @ the local Apple store and hope they know something about this issue.

Google is NOT your friend in this case, Apple.com Forums = teh lose

If someone feels froggy and wants to write a script to fix this or is willing to remote into a machine and do it for a pat on the back or a PayPal donation speak up! I'm sure other people will be looking for this help soon to.

2. Flhusky thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

That is 1 of the 2 articles i referred to. There are multiple syntax errors in the hint/fix which a non CLI person would NOT know. Reading further down someone did mention the syntax error and corrected it. However the rest of the guide is a fail (for me at least).

I'm fast approaching #1 and will just blow away the Time Machine drive and start fresh. I'm going to approach the Apple Service Center that did my repair and speak to them about the issue. I do NOT expect them to resolve the issue as I'm sure they are not aware of the issue, because IF they were and they failed to mention it to me.... talk about a nasty gram.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Interesting, 'cause I followed one of those guides, I thought was this one and it worked for me...

4. haiggy macrumors 65816

Hmmm.. interesting...
    Definitely sucks but maybe it's a security issue somehow?

PITA though