Time Machine Newbie Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stockcerts, Feb 26, 2010.

1. stockcerts macrumors 65816

When I look at my prior backups I'm only seeing the desktop. I do I navigate through docs and apps to ensure they are there? Thanks!

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

It starts at the Desktop. You can navigate through all your directories normally, and move back in time from there to see what was in that directory. Or, move back in time, then navigate to the directory you want. Or any combination.

3. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm missing something all I see are windows of my desktop. I don't see how to access my documents.

4. celticpride678

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Are you sure you are in the Time Machine application? If yes, you should be able to navigate through Time Machine like a normal Finder window.

5. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I see all of the windows going back for each day, but each window is the desktop, and I don't see the finder to access any files in folders. The only thing showing up in the desktop window are the files and folders that are on my desktop...?

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Use the items on the left-hand side of the window (where it shows your name, Applications, Documents etc) to navigate through your backup. It will show what's in your chosen backup instead of what's on your actual computer at that time.

7. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

It doesn't show my applications or docs, just the items that are on my desktop.

8. celticpride678

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Sounds like there is an issue with your Time Machine Application. Try formatting the drive again.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Can you post a screenshot? (Cmd-Shift-3) It should look something like this:

Attached Files:

10. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

Once you do the Cmd shift 3 how do you attach it to the posting? Thx!

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

In the Reply to Thread window, click on the Add Attachments icon (first image), which brings up the Manage Attachments window. Click on any of the Choose File buttons (second image), select your screen shot, click the Upload button. Once it's done, you'll see a new ling for it in the same window. Cluck the Close Window link in the upper right-hand corner, and it's added to the post. You won't see it, but it's there.

Submit the post.

Attached Files:

12. stockcerts thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the problem is I don't know how to save the screen shot to a file. It's easy on my PC at work, although I'm sure it's easy here once you know how. :rolleyes:

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You don't have to "save it as a file." That's already taken care of. Screen captures on a Mac (Cmd-Shift-3 for full screen, Cmd-Shift-4 for selectable area—there's other modifiers, but those are the two basic ones) by default save as PNGs on your Desktop. They can be attached as-is to your post as I described above.

14. Hal Itosis macrumors 6502a

Hal Itosis

Oh for Pete's sake (talk about "time"). :)

Most likely, your Finder windows aren't set to show the toolbar + sidebar. So set window views and Finder prefs accordingly. Also: instead of entering Time Machine from the point of a windowless desktop, it may be easier (in your case) to start with your Documents folder already opened... then enter the time warp and navigate to your final destination.

Here are some FAQs, perhaps #12 has some relevancy (in terms of navigation tips):
    Time Machine -- Frequently Asked Questions