Time Machine No Longer Working

Discussion in 'macOS' started by atacinus, Sep 7, 2010.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

So I use an external USB harddrive with my airport to backup my computer. The harddrive is 250gb and the computer is 250gb (with about 40gb free space) - previously this worked for backing up just fine...then one day it stopped and started telling me it required "251.46gb" but the drive only has "249.05" - umm...why if I'm at only about 210gb of actual space being used?

So I reformatted the drive and tried again - same error...anyway to make this work again...seems so odd that it was always fine and then just quit one day.

2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

try a different drive. Maybe the drive is failing.

3. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

The drive is fine and can hold information copied to it normally. I even reformatted it...this seems to be an issue with time machine - did apple make any changes to it in a recent point upgrade?

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Nope. If you launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and open it. You and "repair" a sparsebundle in the Time Machine. Do that and then see if Time Machine can back up to it.

5. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Tried repairing the sparsebundle - but no, still the same error message about the size difference.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Is it possible that previously you have 'excluded' certain things from being backed up by TM and now they are included making the required backup size larger? That happened to me a while ago and I got the same message about needing a larger backup.