Time machine not backing up NAS drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kalaheo, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Kalaheo macrumors member

I recently got a Synology DS411j NAS. I have spent quite a while transferring everything to it from an external HD. I was finally ready to back it all up with Time Machine, but it turns out TM doesn't even see the NAS drive. I tried mounting it through the "connect to server" option in Finder, but the folder on the NAS with everything on it is greyed out. Oddly enough, TM gives me the option to exclude it from backups, but when I exclude it, it doesn't even show up on the list of exclusions.

Unfortunately, every time I google any variation of Time Machine and NAS, I am inundated with "using your NAS for Time Machine." However, this is not what I want to do. I would like to have access to my NAS and back that up, along with my computer, to Time Machine.

Can you guys help? Thanks in advance!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

My old DS110j supported Leopard & Lion Time Machine. Both backup and restore. Are you running DS3.2?

3. Kalaheo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post (and reading it today I can see why it was confusing--I have a new baby, cut me some slack :D). I'd like to keep the primary files on the NAS, and have it backed up by Time Machine on an external USB hard drive connected directly to my computer. I am running 3.2. I'm starting to think this isn't possible, and I'm going to have to connect a USB HD to the NAS for a local backup, along with another USB HD connected to my computer for TM for my laptop. Thanks again!

4. usheeen macrumors newbie

Hi Kalaheo, I understand your problem. I spent the whole day looking for a solution but have so far been unsuccessful. Did you by any chance figure it out in the meantime?

Best Regards,
    Oisin

5. hafr macrumors 68030

I don't have an answer to your question, but maybe Carbon Copy Cloner (free backup software, works pretty much like TM) has that option?