Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I received my new 24" iMac a few days ago, and have spent the last few days setting it up and getting acquainted with the new features.

I purchased a MyBook Studio 1TB drive to use with Time Machine, as it sounded like a good way to keep everything backed up.

Everything seemed to be working well, until I started flicking through some of my folders in TM. I noticed that the files I had added an hour or so earlier hadn't backed up. I had just recently set an exclusion on a single folder, so decided to try removing it. TM then backed a few GB of files up.

I decided to add some test files to a folder, and run TM again. Again, it didn't back the new files up.

The only thread I seem to be able to find describing similar behavior is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1647675&tstart=15

One guy notes that he gets this behavior after sleeping his machine, which is what I've been doing...and what I intend to do 99% of the time. This thread is from 2008 however, so I would expect this issue to have been ironed out by now.

Restarting the machine seems to have fixed the problem, but I don't know for how long, and since TM wasn't actually throwing an error, I'm not going to know if it starts happening again.

Is it worth sticking with TM, or do I need to give it up and move to imaging with Super Duper?

All input appreciated
Neil

ventmore

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I got rid of the WD MyBook, and replaced it with a Seagate Freeagent Desk for Mac. Time Machine now works a treat :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.