time machine not backing up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rph105, Nov 13, 2007.

1. rph105 macrumors 6502

rph105

for some reason, when i go in time machine, i cant go back in time, the only day tht is avaiable is 'today', i cant right click the drive anymore and press back up now, anyone know whts up?

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Same here. But that's because I started Time Machine today. There are no earlier backups available yet.

You have to right-click on the programm icon in the dock. Does that work?

3. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Having the same problem. I backed up the day of Leopard's release and two weeks later could only go to 'Today'. I erased that backup and re-backed up. Still the same problem..... don't know what to do....

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Are you guys using an HFS+ formatted external hard disk connected to your drive?

5. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

That's probably what it is my guess, My external Seagate is HFS+ and it's using Time Machine flawlessly.

Most, if not all of the External Drives you buy somewhere are formatted FAT32 I believe, so it's plug and play for both Windows/Mac. I would think that Time Machine uses spotlight technology somewhat for the back in time traveling, which requires an indexed drive, which requires HFS+ formatting.

Well, you can force-index a FAT32 drive, but you have to actually do that in Terminal I believe... then it might work for Time Machine.

6. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Sounds reasonable. But I'd expect Time Machine to check that at start.

7. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Mine is partitioned: it has a HFS+ drive with TM on it and a FAT 32 drive with my individual file backups that can be moved across to Windows... You think that might be the problem?

8. rph105 thread starter macrumors 6502

rph105

i dunno what mine is started using time machine when i bought leopard too, and it workedd fine, now i can only go to today, what is the problem, tried re-formatting, no luck, what should i do

9. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Fixed It!!!!

The solution to my problem was that my computer was not named. I went into Sharing and put in a computer name and viola it now works....