Time Machine not including Mirco SD XC card in backup???

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by prvt.donut, Aug 25, 2012.

1. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

This is a bit of a weird issue.

Got a 64GB Micro SDXC card and mini usb adapter to give the 128GB air a bit of space as it was running out of space.

I formatted the drive to OSX journaled and moved the iPhoto library to it, all good.

I decided i wanted to start a fresh backup so made a new Time Machine USB 500GB drive ready. I set it as the backup drive and in the options, my 64GB drive keeps appearing in "Do not backup drive" list.

I remove it, in the bottom of the window, it shows that the estimated backup is 140GB, which it should. But when I close the window it seems to automatically revert back and when the time machine job runs, it says it is only backing up about 40GB.

I open the window again and the 64GB drive is back in the "Do not backup" list!

GRRRRRRRRR.!!!!!1!!:mad:

Any one have any ideas?

FYI... OSX is 10.7.4

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I don't know if there's an Apple info page on this, but as far as I know Time Machine doesn't like to or won't backup flash drives such as USB sticks and SD cards.

You'll have to come up with another backup solution for the card. You can still back it up to the TM disk via your alternate method.

3. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

Everything I am reading says the opposite, only that the drive must be HFS formatted:confused:

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Everything I've seen says that folks trying to do the same thing are unable to.

5. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

6. JonLa macrumors 6502

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

8. prvt.donut thread starter macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

I am talking to Applecare at the moment, they are recreating the issue and will get back to me.:apple:

9. stchman macrumors 6502a

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't all drives that are going to be backed up to Time Machine have to be in HFS+ format?

10. JonLa macrumors 6502

Is that diff from the original poster's Mac OS Journaled format? Just checked mine in disc utility and I went with "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"