Time Machine not including Mirco SD XC card in backup???

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
This is a bit of a weird issue.

Got a 64GB Micro SDXC card and mini usb adapter to give the 128GB air a bit of space as it was running out of space.

I formatted the drive to OSX journaled and moved the iPhoto library to it, all good.

I decided i wanted to start a fresh backup so made a new Time Machine USB 500GB drive ready. I set it as the backup drive and in the options, my 64GB drive keeps appearing in "Do not backup drive" list.

I remove it, in the bottom of the window, it shows that the estimated backup is 140GB, which it should. But when I close the window it seems to automatically revert back and when the time machine job runs, it says it is only backing up about 40GB.

I open the window again and the 64GB drive is back in the "Do not backup" list!

GRRRRRRRRR.!!!!!1!!:mad:

Any one have any ideas?

FYI... OSX is 10.7.4

BrianBaughn

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I don't know if there's an Apple info page on this, but as far as I know Time Machine doesn't like to or won't backup flash drives such as USB sticks and SD cards.

You'll have to come up with another backup solution for the card. You can still back it up to the TM disk via your alternate method.

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I don't know if there's an Apple info page on this, but as far as I know Time Machine doesn't like to or won't backup flash drives such as USB sticks and SD cards.

You'll have to come up with another backup solution for the card. You can still back it up to the TM disk via your alternate method.
Everything I am reading says the opposite, only that the drive must be HFS formatted:confused:

prvt.donut

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
I am talking to Applecare at the moment, they are recreating the issue and will get back to me.:apple:

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Is that diff from the original poster's Mac OS Journaled format? Just checked mine in disc utility and I went with "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"