Time Machine not recognized by Time Capsule (or the other way around)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JenPeKev, Aug 10, 2009.

1. JenPeKev macrumors newbie

I just got a new 1tb Time Capsule which I set up in less than 10 Min (I had to let "Comcast" remotely reset our cable box) and the internet connection is perfect with 1 iMac, 2 MacBooks, 1 Tivo and 1 Xbox360 connected to our little network just as it was when we used the "Airport Extreme".

Online is up and running and very, very speedy.

But,....I cannot get the 2 MacBooks to connect the the Time Capsule in order to perform a back up (the iMac is connected to an external HD through a firewire cable and does not need to connect to the Time Capsule).

The Time Capsule doesn't even show up, when I open the Time Machine preferences. Hell, it doesnt even show up, when I connect the TC to the MacBooks with a ethernet cable.
    Everywhere I look online, nobody seems to have that problem. What am I missing here? Is there something I did wrong during the initial set up? Like I said, all computers/devices can connet to the internet through the TC, but when it comes to back ups I'm not even getting any error message. The Time capsule is just not shwing up as a back up device.

Any ideas?

Thanx for your time

Pete

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

So I assume that the Time Capsule is the only router in the equation or is there another upstream? And if it's the latter, are your devices connecting to the Time Capsule's network or the other router? I'd also suggest running the TC in Bridge Mode if it is indeed the latter.

Is your TC's internal hard drive being shared? In the Disks tab in AirPort Utility, do you have File Sharing enabled? Can you mount the TC's HDD on your Macs?

Apologies for all the questions but your initial post was a bit lacking in information. Hopefully this will help better diagnose the situation.

3. JenPeKev thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx for your reply!

The TC is the only router in our network and is set to "Create a wireless network". Alle devices are connected to the TC which in return is connected to the "Comcast" Cable Modem.

File Sharing is enabled but even when I connect the TC to the computers through an ethernet cable the TC's HDD does not show up anywhere.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

I seem to recall something about the TC's network name and hard drive name creating issues. I know that it likes to label them something long winded by default using apostrophes and such. Rename boh the network name and the hard drive name to something that's shorter, does not include any spaces and no apostrophes either.

Also, in your Finder preferences, make sure to check the box that shows connected servers if it isn't already and see if that will place the Time Capsule in your Finder.

5. JenPeKev thread starter macrumors newbie

I gave it a name with 7 letters, no spaces or special characters.

I also checked the Finder - No Luck.

It's as if there is no HDD inside the TC. I'm out of ideas.

6. JenPeKev thread starter macrumors newbie

Reset didn't do anything either. Looks like it's "Apple Repair Service" now.